Powered By Blogger

Saturday 24 September 2011

Sony Wireless 7.1 surround Headset

Headset resting over Sony PS3 Soundbar.
I received my Sony stereo headset 7.1 surround today from Poslaju. This new headset is from Sony targeted to ps3 users as sony is boasting their ps3 exclusive 7.1 virtual surround only available to ps3 gaming. Anyway, since I'm a notorious apple junkie, I have to stress here that I'm also a huge Sony fan as well, having multiple Sony LCD and led at home, ps3, psp, Sony home theater system, Sony Dslr camera and also Sony ps3 soundbar for my room usage for gaming. So yes, I'm not all Apple-ly okay?

Back to the headset, it's design very futuristic, first glance I thought it's very metal gear solid 4 inspired design, matted black finishing and extremely minimal, cool kind of way! It's only available in one color so no pink or yellow people, who wears them anyway? Down side of the design is, when wearing the headset, it look a bit silly, I was referring it as the princess leia look! Bulky over both ears, with a flat top. Lol. I guess it's more of an ergonomic decision than aesthetics by the designer.
The Outside - packaging.

The inside.

Packaging is very simple and straight forward, don't expect Apple level kind of packaging. It's quite dissapointing actually, when u open the box then it's only the headphone wrap in a transparent plastic and a simple manual along with it's USB dongle. That's all nothing fancy about it. No pouch, no cable for charging, no stand for the headphone to rest on but then again Sony did not charge your rm500 for the headphone so deal with it. And iI feel it's actually very competitively priced in my opinion at rm300 each.
Futuristic design. Earpiece with soft comfortable pads.

After I opened the box up I quickly connect the USB into my MacBook air to test the sound and bass. I'm not an extremist when it comes to sound but I think it's fair to let you guys know my other speaker headphones so you know what to expect from these cans. At home I am using a pair of senheisser cx300 in-ear headphone which btw in my opinion able to pump out one of the best sound among others in-ear headphone I've testes, and I also listen to koss kc75. I am also currently using a pair of harman kardon soundstick III paired with my iMac and Sony home theater 5.1 connected to my ps3. I'll probably consider myself a moderate audiophile in terms of my expectations when it comes to sound quality.
Size comparison with a Macbook Air 11"
On my first run out of the box, I tested music from my iTunes library (using R&B settings on the equalizer), and was impressed by the sound, bass is adequate, vocals are crisp, and overall I enjoy listening to bassy music with these cans. Bass is there, but if you are a bass head, this cans will not impress you. Volume wise its pretty loud, its comfortable to use it around 80-90% of sound volume.

My previous encounter with large headset like this is they are usually very heavy and uncomfortable to the ears as they tend to drop and fall either forward or backward. You also have to consistency adjust the headset but I do not encounter this problem with this set, mainly because it's very light. The top part is made of thin metal, both sides plastic with adjustable volume and voice control for chatting. 7.1 surround on off is easily rechable on the top of left earpiece. The microphone can be retracted or pulled forward, the only thing is it feels a little fragile. So specially handle them with care. All indicator on the headset is done using a small led near the tip of the microphone which gives it an even more edgier feel!
Charging port.

I have to give prop to Sony, it's just plug and play, no hassle to download or install any software even on the Mac. According to Sony, it can last 7 hours after3hours of charging using micro Usb cable (same as the one you use to charge ur ps3 controllers).

All in all, it's a easy purchase that I'll recommend to anyone with a ps3, true that I havent spend ample of time testing on the sound and 7.1 surround sound, but if these and sounds good for my music, it'll definitely do better with gaming. Not to mention it's easy on the wallet as well, highly recommended!

p/s: all photos taken with Sony DSLR A550 + 50mm 1.4 lens

No comments:

Post a Comment